Smoke alarms are an important safety feature for homes and other buildings in Queensland, however, there are certain regulations that must be followed to ensure compliance. It can be challenging to keep up with all of the latest information regarding smoke alarm compliance in the state, so this guide will provide an overview of the requirements.
In residential buildings, all sleeping areas must be fitted with a smoke alarm, and this must meet the Australian Standard AS3786:2014. The standard requires that the smoke alarm be installed on the ceiling in the middle of the room and at least a metre away from any light fittings or other electrical equipment that could affect its ability to detect smoke. Additionally, smoke alarms must be tested and replaced at least every 10 years.
In commercial buildings, the requirements for smoke alarms are slightly different. All sleeping areas must be fitted with smoke alarms, and these must meet the Australian Standard AS1670.1:2015. The smoke alarms must be installed on the ceiling and at least a metre away from any light fittings or other electrical equipment that could affect its ability to detect smoke. Additionally, smoke alarms must be tested and replaced at least every 5 years.
How to Ensure Your Smoke Alarm is Compliant
- Never disable or remove the batteries from your smoke alarm.
- Test your smoke alarm regularly according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If your smoke alarm is more than 10 years old (for residential buildings) or 5 years old (for commercial buildings), replace it with an alarm that meets the relevant Australian Standard.
- Make sure your smoke alarm is installed in the middle of the ceiling and at least a metre away from any light fittings or other electrical equipment.
- Make sure the alarm is securely mounted and not covered by furniture, curtains or other obstructions.
- If you are unsure of the type of smoke alarm you should install or how to install it, seek professional advice from a qualified electrician.
Just-In Time Electrical has the experience and the knowledge to ensure your smoke alarm is compliant with all regulations. Contact us today for more information on how we can help.
Just-In Time Electrical is your local leading electrical contractor based in Brisbane’s western suburbs. Just-In Time Electrical has been operating for over 12 years and draws on a combined knowledge base of over 30 years.