Electricity is an essential part of our daily lives. We rely on it to power our homes, businesses and personal devices. While it has made our lives more convenient, it can also be dangerous if not handled properly. Electrical hazards are a common cause of emergencies that can result in accidents, injuries and even deaths in Australia. It is crucial to recognise the signs of an electrical hazard to protect yourself and your loved ones. 

What is an Electrical Hazard?

An electrical hazard is any situation that could potentially cause harm due to electrical systems or equipment. It can range from minor shocks and burns to serious injuries like electrocution. Electrical hazards can be found in both residential and commercial settings, and they can affect anyone regardless of age or experience. It is crucial to understand that electricity is not something to be taken lightly and should be handled with caution at all times.

Signs of an Electrical Hazard

To recognise an electrical hazard, one needs to be aware of the warning signs. Here are the most common signs that you should look out for.

Flickering Lights

Flickering lights are not only annoying but can also be a sign of an electrical problem. If your lights are flickering consistently, it could indicate faulty wiring or an overloaded circuit. It is essential to have a licenced electrician inspect the issue to prevent potential hazards.

Burning Smell

A burning smell is never a good sign, especially when coming from an electrical outlet or appliance. It could mean there is loose wiring, overloaded circuits or faulty equipment. If ignored, it could lead to electrical fires and serious injuries. Make sure to turn off the power source immediately and seek professional assistance.

Hot Outlets or Switches

Outlets and switches should never feel hot to the touch. If you notice that they are warm or even hot, it could mean that there is an underlying electrical issue. It is crucial to address it promptly to avoid potential hazards, including electrical fires.


Experiencing electrical shocks from appliances or outlets is a clear indication of an electrical hazard. You should never ignore even the slightest shock, as it could be a sign of faulty wiring, damaged equipment or faulty insulation. Seek professional assistance to diagnose and address the issue.

Tripping Breakers or Blown Fuses

If your circuit breaker keeps tripping or your fuses keep blowing, it could mean that your electrical system is overloaded. This can lead to sparks and potential fires. It is crucial to address the issue and have a licenced electrician inspect your system to prevent hazards.

Preventing Electrical Hazards

The best way to prevent electrical hazards is by being proactive and taking precautionary measures. Here are some tips to keep your home or workplace safe.

Regular Inspections and Maintenance

Regularly inspect your electrical system and appliances for any signs of wear and tear. It is also a good idea to have a licenced electrician conduct thorough inspections and maintenance at least once a year to identify and address any potential hazards.

Use Surge Protectors

Surge protectors are a great way to protect your electronic devices from power surges. They can prevent damage to your appliances and reduce the risk of electrical hazards.

Avoid Overloading Circuits

Avoid plugging too many devices into one outlet, as it can overload the circuit and lead to potential hazards. Spread out your appliances and use extension cords or power strips whenever necessary.

Read more: Tips for Preventing Power Outages


Recognising the signs of an electrical hazard is crucial for your safety and that of those around you. At Just-In Time Electrical, we offer reliable emergency electrical services throughout Brisbane. Our team of licenced electricians can help you address any electrical hazard promptly and ensure the safety of your home or workplace. Contact us today for all your electrical needs.


Related posts:


Call 0488 825 123