When it comes to deciding on an air conditioning system for your home, it can be difficult to make the right choice. Most Brisbane residents opt for either ducted air conditioning or split systems. While both offer efficient cooling, they have distinct differences that make them suitable for different situations. In this blog post, we will compare and contrast the two systems to help you make an informed decision for your home’s air conditioning.
Ducted Air Conditioning: The Ultimate Cooling Solution
Ducted air conditioning is a centralised system that is designed to cool the entire home. It involves a network of ducts hidden in the ceiling or under the floor, connected to a single outdoor unit. The system operates by using a fan to distribute cold air through the ducts and into each room of the house.
- Efficient cooling: Ducted air conditioning can provide consistent cooling throughout the entire house, making it perfect for larger homes or multiple-storey buildings.
- Discreet appearance: As the system is hidden, it does not affect the aesthetics of your home. This is ideal for homeowners who value a seamless and clutter-free interior.
- Zone control: Ducted systems allow for easy control over different zones of your home, meaning you can adjust the temperature in each room according to your preference.
- Expensive installation: The installation of ducted air conditioning can be more costly compared to a split system due to the extensive process of installing the ducts.
- High maintenance cost: As the system is complex and has many components, it may require frequent maintenance and repairs, resulting in higher maintenance costs.
Split System: The Convenient Cooling Option
Split systems consist of two units – an indoor unit that is mounted on the wall of the room and an outdoor unit that is connected to it. The indoor unit is responsible for the cooling, while the outdoor unit is responsible for the heat exchange process.
- Affordable installation: Split systems are generally more affordable to install compared to ducted air conditioning as there is no need for ductwork.
- Customisable cooling: Each unit can be controlled independently, allowing you to adjust the temperature in each room accordingly. This feature can save you money on energy bills by only cooling the rooms that are in use.
- Noiseless operation: Split systems are known for their quiet operation, making them ideal for bedrooms or study areas.
- Limited cooling capacity: Split systems are suitable for single rooms or smaller spaces, making them unsuitable for larger homes.
- Visible indoor unit: The indoor unit of a split system is visible and can be considered a visual distraction in the interior of your home.
Which System Is Right For You?
Ultimately, the decision between ducted air conditioning and split systems depends on your specific needs and preferences. However, our experience suggests that split-system air conditioners are the better choice for most Brisbane residents due to their affordability, convenience and lower maintenance requirements.
Whether you choose ducted air conditioning or a split system, both provide efficient cooling solutions for your home. At Just-In Time Electrical, we offer professional installation, maintenance and repair services of split-system air conditioners to ensure you have a reliable and comfortable cooling experience all year round. Contact us today to learn more about our services and to schedule an appointment.
Just-In Time Electrical is your local leading electrical contractor based in Brisbane’s western suburbs. Just-In Time Electrical has been operating for over 12 years and draws on a combined knowledge base of over 30 years.